Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Pressure to be as Efficient as a Machine

In this generation technology plays a huge role in peoples everyday lives. As the years go by the amount of technology in classroom settings and learning environments has increased. Although technology has been very helpful in a lot of aspects including education, the increased focus on experimenting with technology in the classroom can be very disrupting and take away from the actual learning process. One Valencia student told Jeff Selingo who wrote the article “Did Anyone Ask the Students?” said that online classes are pretty much like paying to teach yourself. In my experience with online classes I’d have to say that the comment was pretty much on point. The online classes’ I've taken just seem to leave me to my own devices with very limited guidance or communication. Although I have no qualms about reading information and having discussions through text I couldn't help but feel lost in these situations.
I also remember throughout my earlier education (elementary, middle, and high school) different technological changes would be made at times with very little warning or discussion. All it really did was waste a huge chunk of time trying to figure out how to work some very complicated thing that supposedly was going to revolutionize learning. When all it really did was confuse everyone. I did somewhat appreciate the implementation of laptops at the high school level though. They had a purpose and made typed essays and homework easier to access. Yet the mass regulations and complications with maintaining the laptop and abiding by the school rules proved to be a huge hindrance to their effectiveness. And not to mention the absolutely ridiculous and unorganized way of handing payments for the use of said laptop. Which amounted to more than it was actually worth and made it hard for students who couldn't constantly pay the annual and minor fees.
Along with technology there has also been a stigma with certain degrees and how students should choose them and why. I know people judge art degrees, and well basically anything that doesn't have to contribute to societies working jobs. But not everyone is built for that or even interested we shouldn't force people into being miserable the rest of their lives. Why does it matter anyway? I don’t feel like anyone owes society anything or why anyone really cares. In the long run it doesn't matter I’d rather spend my time doing what I love and fulfilling my dreams instead of worrying about how acceptable as a worker to society. It all depends on the individual’s wants, goals, and aspirations. There are plenty of people who choose a degree for many different reasons. It could be passion, it could be the money, the interests, and it could be about a million different reasons depending on who you’re talking to. I think everyone should respect that a little more.

With all this technology and pressure to be not only efficient but faster too, it all seems really overwhelming. And I’m probably not the only one to say their needs to be some changes with the education system and how they address actual student’s interests.  

No comments:

Post a Comment